Whether your New Year’s Resolution is to eat healthier or exercise more, we all have goals that we strive to attain. Below, I’ve shared with you some of my energy-related resolutions for 2015 and little known energy conservation tips.
- Unplug electronics that are not in use such as tv that no one is watching, or phone chargers that never leave the wall socket. (I know I’m guilty of both) As long as they are plugged in, they are constantly using electricity, even when they aren’t in use!
- Change all your incandescent light bulbs to compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) if you have not yet made the change. CFLs and light emitting diodes (LEDs) use 25%-80% less energy than its traditional counterparts and have a longer lifetime.
- Invest in a shower timer so you can keep track of how long your showers last. I challenge you to keep under 5 min! Additionally, you can easily save thousands of gallons of water per year by installing low flow showerheads.
- Install a programmable thermostat that automatically turns off the heater when no one is at home.
- Install a fan and use this before turning on the heater or air conditioner–both are energy/money drainers.
- Pack extra reusable shopping bags in your car for planned or impromptu grocery shopping. An added bonus is that these will always look more stylish than those plain, old, plastic bags!
- On top of saving money with your solar installation: if you are planning on renovating your roof this year, consider investing in light-colored shingles as opposed to darker ones. That way, your home won’t heat up as fast, and you can save $$$ on your electricity bills!
If you have any comments, suggestions, or other green tips, please feel free to shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking forward to hearing from you guys,